REDIMAT sells wholesale matboard, pre cut photo mats, picture framing sets and clear bags HOME · PRODUCTS · ORDERING · RESOURCES · CONTACT · View Shopping Cart

home > resources > do it yourself > glosery of terms



Can’t find what you’re looking for? Know a term we’ve missed? Let us know at:

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M
N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

A chemical substance that has a pH of less than 7.0. Acids can react with photographs, paper memorabilia, metals, and scrapbook products shortening their life span, causing corrosion, discoloration, brittleness or a variety of other problems.

acid burn
Yellowish-brown lines that appear on artwork that was not framed using conservation materials. This causes the artwork to discolor and become brittle.

adhesive transfer tape
A double-sided tape used to stick mat boards and other materials together. Usually used with an applicator or "ATG gun."

A term used to describe paper materials with a 7 pH A double-sided tape used to stick mat boards and other materials together. Usually used with an applicator or "ATG gun." or very close to 7 pH. Acid-free materials are more permanent and less likely to discolor over time. The term archival or conservation quality more accurately describes true acid-free conservation quality mat board.

alkali, alkaline, or base
A chemical substance that has a pH greater than 7.0. It can be added to materials containing acid to neutralize the acid or act as a reserve for the purpose of counteracting acids that it may come into contact with in the future.

A term used to describe museum quality material (acid-free) that will protect your art for extended periods of time. Usually describes a framing procedure where all materials are completely acid free. Also referred to as conservation framing.

A sheet of mat-board or foam core placed behind the artwork and it's associated mat to provide stiffening and protection.

beveled edge
The 45-degree cut on a mat board. This allows about 1/16" of the core to be seen. A reverse bevel means the core will not be seen from the front of the mat.

The addition of an alkaline reserve to a material to control the pH over an extended time. Commonly used in the paper industry to identify that alkaline filler has been added during the papermaking process to offset any acid that is present or that it may come in contact with later. Common buffers for paper are magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate. In addition to papers, buffering is sometimes used in adhesives and other materials where the manufacturer wants to control the pH.

Felt or rubber attached to the back of a large and heavy frame at the bottom corners to provide a cushion between the frame and the wall and help the frame to hang flat against the wall.

conservation, conservation framing
Describes the framing procedure where all materials that come in contact with the artwork; mat board, mounting board, etc, are completely acid-free. It is designed to minimize the deterioration of the artwork caused by exposure to the environment.

conservation glazing
Glass or acrylic treated in any of various ways to afford the artwork greater protection or visibility

corrugated corners
Material (likely cardboard) that protects the corners of a frame when in transit

double mat
A technique where the artwork is matted using two separate mat boards, one on top of the other. The amount of the bottom mat you see is determined by the offset.

dust cover, jacket
Paper, which is placed on the back of wood frames to protect artwork from dust.

dust cover trimmer
A handy tool used to trim the dust cover to the size of the frame.

digital image
An image based on electronic data and storage rather than on the chemical processes of traditional photography.

Back to Do It Yourself